Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sunnyside up

My new go-to ingredient for breakfast is corn tortillas. I really have to learn to make my own, but for now we get packs at the store. 

A couple of recent breakfasts:
Two corn tortillas. Cook on one side, then flip and add a spoonful of refried beans, some avocado, and cheese. After cheese starts to melt, plate and add greens. Fast, delicious, satisfying.

This morning's was more involved. We had extra bok choy, which I panfried with just salt and pepper. Then I cooked two tortillas. I cooked up breakfast sausage from Chestnut Farms. I made a salsa out of tomatoes, jarred jalapeños, scallions, garlic, and some cumin and chili powder. And then two sunnyside-up eggs. Place tortillas, then eggs, then salsa. Add the greens and sausage on the side.

Growing up, after my mom found out about salmonella, we stopped doing things like licking the bowl or cooking sunnyside-up eggs. Since most of my eggs no longer come from factory farms, I take the risk these days and cook sunnyside-up. Such a pleasure.

No comments: