Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Spring

Spring came early this year. I've done some work in the gardens already, planting snap peas and cutting back an akebia vine that was getting invasive. Still a long way to go there.

Akebia is a beautiful flowering vine, but if planted with another variety, it produces fruit too. Max and I are dying to try out this fruit, so we picked a white variety to go with our rosy-colored flowers. It might not work this year, since the flowers are budding so early and the white hasn't been shipped to us yet, but we'll give it a go. It's a good excuse to tame it and try to make the tangle into something productive.

We went a little overboard this year picking out plants. I've pinned a bunch on Pinterest on my Edible Perennials board. I found out that companies may not send ribes, such as gooseberry plants, to Massachusetts. I checked the trusty Wikipedia article on ribes, and it is because it causes White Pine Blister Rust. I hadn't heard of this, but I don't argue too much with stopping non-native disease. No currants or gooseberries in my garden.

I picked up my ever-reliable meat share this week from Chestnut Farms. Kim was dealing out "extras", including beef bones, pork bones, and leaf lard. I made a pork bone soup by boiling the bones for a couple hours the first day (we ate the broth straight), then removed the bones and added sliced baby bella mushrooms, sweet peppers, scallions, and some bok choy. Pretty good! The beef bones are great just roasted for the marrow or in a soup. I like making sweet potato soup with that broth. And the leaf lard is supposed to be amazing for pie crust. I'm looking to make a gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free crust, so maybe leaf lard is the answer. It's a tough search on Google, and I'm not sure it's been done before.

Max cooked up four steaks in our share for a family visit. For his birthday I ordered miso from the South River Miso Co. They make several non-soy misos, anywhere from rice to barley to dandelion leek. We marinated the steaks with miso and a few other ingredients, which is always a nice treat. (My recipe is usually miso, sake, mirin, and sugar, sometimes with soy sauce and scallions.)

Happy Easter to everyone, and hope you got to enjoy some local food.

No comments: